Monday, April 18, 2011

Pandas and naps

Male pandas perform an average of 8 handstands a day. There's no apparent evolutionary purpose in this stunt. They do it because it's fun.
Suggestion: Identify a new non-sexual activity you'll do not because it's good for you or because it'll advance a goal you're pursuing, but for the sheer pleasure of it. If you can't think of any, do the research necessary to find one.
ROB BREZSNY- PRONOIA
This is not as easy a task as you think. We are so goal orientated. Well, I realise, although I resist setting goals,  I am somehow  so goal orientated. So many things I do are means to an end. 
I like swimming, both in the sea and in a pool. But I tell myself I do it because it is good for me, it will make me strong and healthy. I will live longer. From now on i am going to experience the joy of the water more.
 I like reading and writing, but I tell myself that it is for my own betterment, to relax myself, to develop my brain, whatever. But do I ever tell myself that what I am doing is purely for fun, for ME?
I eat when I'm not hungry, and I tell myself that it is OK, I identify that I am comfort eating or just eating cause the yummy food is in front of me. But do I ever tell myself that I am doing this simply for the enjoyment of the moment?
One of my resolutions of 2009 that I am carrying on in 2010 is to take more naps. I think this could count under something which I do purely for pleasure. But I realise that I tell myself that it is to be less tired. I now can officially nap in almost every room of my house except the bathrooms and the kitchen. I have majilis cushions, a daybed, a spare bed, my own bed, sofas outside. I think lying down is very good for me. I think I should do it more often. And so should you!
From now on I am going to do it purely for pleasure and not tell myself any other stories around it. That goes for quite a few of my other activities. Living in the moment , doing things for sheer pleasure. My research continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment