Saturday, November 10, 2012

Through the mist with fire flies


Sometimes as one wanders through the grey glistening mist, it is fine to just let it be and not examine it too closely. I live my life in a very sensory way, and am often very out of myself, perceiving people and personalities and  being hyper aware of the subtle hues of colors and gently vibrating energies all around. Living life very close to my skin, and taking it in completely.
 In recent months the process has been more of a journey inside, and not so easy to describe or to map, so I have let it be.
It always comes back to this somehow, that we are human BEings and not human DOings, and sometimes it is good to just allow everything and everyone to be what they are, including yourself. Mmmm, quite uncomfortable at times, I am sure you all know. Especially for the control freak in me... surrender doesn't come easily. But Surrender with a capital "S" is what the journey within requires.
I was blessed to have many fireflies that crossed my path and accompanied me a little way through the sometimes quite daunting swirling damp white-out, and this is one.
I was walking at an South African market in Johannesburg recently, and was drawn to see a palm reader who stood at one of the stalls. He said many things and gave me the best hug I have had in years, but here is something for you today. The lighthouse doesn't jump around the coastline looking for ships or boats to save; it stays completely stable on its rock in the knowledge of the strength of its own light and foundation, and knows that the vessels that need help will see that light.
I am so tired of trying ''to please'' and ''to be useful''. I think it is a wonderful piece of baggage to throw off with abandonment!
Here is a piece by Paulo Coelho I recently discovered:
Ask a flower in the field: ‘Do you feel useful? After all, you do nothing but produce the same flowers over and over?’
And the flower will answer: ‘I am beautiful, and beauty is my reason for living.’
Ask the river: ‘Do you feel useful, given that all you do is to keep flowing in the same direction?’
And the river will answer: ‘I’m not trying to be useful; I’m trying to be a river.’
Don’t try to be useful. Try to be yourself: that is enough, and that makes all the difference.
Walk neither faster nor slower than your own soul... Because it is your soul that will teach you the usefulness of each step you take.
So, dearest fellow travellers, just be where you are and true to yourself and that is more than enough.
Hester Clark: Your soul knows what is best for you and it WILL tell you.

1 comment:

  1. Standing strong beside you ! We may be individual beacons, but we both have the same light

    ReplyDelete