Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Decadent food and Arabic grammar

I wore my red dress today which gave me energy. I felt a lot better about everything.  My temporary passport is on the way and has a validitiy of 1 year, so the uni can put a new work visa/ residency permit in there for me. This makes my life a lot simpler- no rushing to the UK between Easter and the royal wedding. Alhumdullilah.

Eventhough I had a lot of work, I escaped from work early and went to the supermarket to buy decadent food as a small celebration. Hotcross buns and salmon and cream cheese  and red onions and honey and filter coffee and frozen berries. It was lovely just wandering aimlessly around and not rushing. I haven't been to the supermarket for ages and enjoyed it.

 I have totally given up rushing. Junaline gave me advice to cancel some words from my vocabulary that don't work for me. 'Quickly' is definitely one of them. I find myself using it far tooo often. Living in the moment is something which is definitely not overrated. I remember being on a silent retreat many years ago in a wonderful Fransiscan monastry in Bad Waldsee in Germany. One of the old angel-like nuns told us that her new year's resolution was to pay more attention to the moment. I remember thinking that if the master still needs to practise that, all the more reason for me to practise.

I went to Arabic and have got this wonderful new attitude to it. I have decided to ENJOY. Before I used to feel terrible if I was late or hadn't done my homework properly, or if concepts were discussed that I didn't grasp to the full, or even if Faisal the teacher wrote down words I didn't get a chance to copy down. Now I am happy to catch whatever I can and have taken the judgement and pressure off myself. I keep reminding myself that after 12 times of explaining the present simple to my students, they still don't get it; so I don't have to expect myself to understand all the finer convolutions of the Arabic grammar if the Arabic teacher explains the different forms of the negation used in the past, present and future... in one lesson ...in Arabic! 

So guys, as Garfield said on one of the Mother's Day cards I gave Hester many years ago, remember to slow down on the path of life and eat the roses on the way. And more profoundly but no less aptly, in the words of Khalil Gibran, ' The tortoise sees more of the road than the hare'.

2 comments:

  1. hallo; i tried to write a comment and it disappeared. hope this one works

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesss it did - later more than hehe big kiss

    ReplyDelete