Friday, April 15, 2011

bedu on chartreuse motorbikes and crazy dreams

Busy full happy days. Relieved that passport stress has been relieved, still waiting for said document to arrive. Oh oh oh, and by the way, the word stress is also one I am deleting frm my life forever, so that will be officially the last time you hear it from me.

 I am grateful for a quiet Friday at home. I have all the papers next to me to set vocabulary and reading exams from my students, but playing around on the internet is much more fun. I do not usually connect to the internet on the weekend, but it's enjoyable to spend a bit of time like this once in a while.

I am sitting in my bed, with a growling kitty next to me. My portly ( meaning that his belly practically drags on the ground... very fluffy) boy Leo insist on lying as close to me as possible, but then gives a tiny growl of disappoval every time I move. Bless him.

I am thinking about several things today. I am thinking the lovely charity event we had at the university on Wednesday night, to support the Al Noor Association for the Blind. All went smoothly and I really enjoyed seeing the students in relaxed mode, having fun. The astmosphere was fun and laidback and I really enjoyed meeting some of the families and friends. The people from Al Noor put on a little play and there were various bands and fashion shows as well. The carshow was a great crowd-pleaser. A group of my boys proudly showed me around all the  fabulous cars and a perfect moment for me was being taken for a spin on a huge limegreen motorbike by one of my students dressed very spiffingly in his traditional bedu gear. I wish I had a photo of that! But will definitely always remember...
Hester always spoke about decorating the galleries of the soul with beautiful images, to be perused any time and as an eternal antidote against boredom.

I am thinking about visions and goals, and which of my crazy dreams I would like to see come to fruition. I have always had dreams to make a difference in this world, to be surrounded by children, to be firmly grounded in the moment while building a future for myself and for those around me. As an exercise with new students, I always ask them to write and then present a piece on their crazy dreams and schemes, what makes them unique and how they plan to change the world. I always encourage them to take risks, to share something they have never shared before. It is a wonderful team building exercise, and it is truly rewarding to see the students stand tall and come into their own right in front of my eyes.

There was a moment at the charity event that sticks with me. I was browsing around the smaller stalls, and there was a young Omani girl selling flash memory drives for computers designed like traditional Omani jewellery. She had made the designs herself. I said that I admired her for her motivation and creativity and she answered that she was just having fun. We had a little conversation which I really enjoyed.

I said that most entrepreneurs don't start with huge goals of success and prosperity in mind, but they pursue what brings them joy and inner satisfaction. The success is a by-product of the hard work, dedication and passion you put into something that brings you fullfillment. I encouraged her to keep going. As I walked away, I realised that  those words from my own mouth were really meant for myself.

At the moment I am nurturing a dream to stay in Oman and to start a language school. I would like to focus on children and ladies: and work towards making a difference to the future of Oman, one English vocabulary word at a time. I would like to create a space where teachers and students feel comfortable, where they can interact in a warm kind atmosphere of sharing and mutual growth. I am working at drawing my team around me. It is all very scary and unreal, but I know in my heart of hearts that I am ready for this. I am having a second meeting with a potential sponsor on Sunday, and am trusting the process big time. Baby steps, baby steps.

As part of that dream, I would really like to work at making myself stronger and healthier and fitter.To be an open and willing channel of light, it is imperative that I am able physically to handle it. I therefore now put a firm intention out to work on this part of myself. I would like to attract all manner of enjoyable ways to improve my physical wellness!

In the mean time, Leo has gone off in a huff, and I am really thirsty. So, untill next time, keep on dreaming.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stefani,
    just reading your blog, instead of making my lunch, doing my Yoga-homework, sorting out my filing of it etc.. sounds really reasonable your idea of a language-space for teachers and students - i must encourage you yess goooo for ittt!! hope you are well and happy.
    I really love your blog, you seem closer like that hey? and so well done, how did you do that?
    Here all smooth, Alexia is coming back today from the "Landschulheim" - tonight I will pick her up - missed her very much that small lady muasss. summer kicking in now, a few weeks more and off to Montgat beach again. Oh and I wanted to invite you to see the royal wedding (have to admit i needed to think for a while what wedding you were writing about.. ) on my sofa with me and a cold gin-tonic (half/half spanish style) in your hand. mmmh
    good like and big kiss
    yours Rosi

    ReplyDelete