Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Of sushi and sunset

"... have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer."

-Rainer Maria Rilke, from "Letters to a Young Poet"

I just had to take this beautiful quote by Rilke today, so apt after my thoughts yesterday. It was posted on FB today by my friend and fellow traveller on the road, Junaline. Thanks girlfriend. It is incredible to me how one attracts the support, information and confirmation you need when you really truly want something and are willing to do the work. It sometimes gives me goosebumps.


After writing and contemplating yesterday, I took myself off on a hot date with myself to one of my favourite restaurants in Muscat overlooking the beach. I sat on the terrace drinking miso and eating sushi, watching the sunset's pinks and golds reflecting in the calm water of the bay, and truly just came home. I was thinking about the words yesterday about living the joy in the moment. I want to visit the desert again soon and as I sat there spoke to Rashid about coming on Saturday after work. Out of the blue in our quite mundane conversation, he said, 'Stefani, I learnt a long time ago not to hold on to anything in this life, even when I really really want to'. It was an uncanny connection to my exact thought just a few minutes earlier.


I had a peaceful walk on the beach, really feeling my toes in the sand and and the cold breeze on my upper arms. I observed the ebb and flow and and felt so grateful for feeling this connection.


I am looking forward to my weekend which will start in a couple of hours with a pedicure, a yoga class, movie night with the loved one and a Christmas shopping trip with him on Friday to Nizwa to buy the real magic rose oil of the Jebel Akhdar.


I wish for all of you to do something only for yourself today, something that brings you home and helps you realise that you are truly welcome in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment