Sunday, March 27, 2011

On writing

As most of you know, one of my passions in life is India, such a pity I haven't had the opportunuty to visit in a long time. My intention is to visit the backwaters of Kerala soon, so let me know if anyone would like to join me! Need the passport first of course....

In one of my favourite places, Pushkar, place of vegetarians, huge yearly camel fair, awesome spiritual festivals and very decent mind-altering substances, lives a soothsayer. This was 1996, and I strolled with my friend Tricia past the door where he sat . I am sure it was the day that we walked by the nose-piercing joint at least 7 times!
It seemed the most natural thing to sit down with this gentle soul with the translucent eyes and give him my hand.

"You are a writer", he says emphatically and smoothly, no question in his voice.
My instinctual gutlevel response, " Yes, I know... I am".
His reply," So what are you writing?"

This was not the first or the last time that I received a similar message from the forces that be.

This is the cosmic joke of course. I had no answer. I can think about something for half my life and compose stories and poems in my head and appreciate beautiful rhythms and words and compositions, but if I don't put the pen to paper....or the finger to the keyboard...

So nice to be with you, and to be doing this to be in touch with you, but also to be in touch with me.

The sea is beautiful today and the temperature is rising. My students are in class writing about Zamzam water. I'll tell you about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment