Saturday, February 25, 2012

On pink porridge and peace

I usually wake up at around 6.30 and lie in my black four-poster bed luxuriating for another few minutes before getting up to light my candle and incense, make my fabulous psyllium berry shake and coffee and let the shower water wash the night off me. In these minutes I say my prayers for the day and generally shake off the morning fear that has always been part of me.
This morning I took a little peek through the curtains and saw two older Omani ladies walking by, dressed in their colorful dresses with sparkly leggings. The one was carrying a large bag of greenery on her head, obviously the breakfast for her goats. Somehow this was such a comforting sight, these two friends going by their normal daily routine, chattering, just being in the moment.
I also wore a colorful dress today and carried the peace on those womens' faces into my class with me. The class, my stage and my sanctuary.
I started the Saturday at an easy pace for the students and in the break went to stand in front of the sea.
There were so many gulls just floating on the sea, bobbing up and down on the gentle undulations of the waves.
For a moment I felt one of them, just doing what they do, just resting in their natural state, no future, no past, no worries, no creeping morning doubts. The light reflected off the water and my heart was flushed with joy.
I remembered a recent morning, a similar feeling, a moment of utter contentment in which time stood still. The loved one surprising me with a beautiful bowl of bright pink porridge with condensed milk. Who needs words, with gestures like that?
I could hardly wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day, and I am sure will savour that moment in years to come.
So, I wish you all precious 'pink porridge' and 'birds drifting on water' moments, small celebrations of life's wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment