Saturday, June 9, 2012

The way home

My students wrote exams today and what I should be doing is some serious power-marking, but I would like to share some thoughts first. I am really proud of these young people, they have made marked progress this semester, and I am happy to send them on to foundation year.

Yesterday I visited one of my favourite places in Oman with my dearest one. It is a sweet mountain village near Al Hamra called Misfat Abreen. We had slept badly the night before and then we almost missed the turn off and on our way up the mountain he asked, 'So what is the story of this place?'' I was a bit stumped at first, doubting myself a little and wondering if this was good timing for us to visit.
Why do I like this place so much? I know quite a few of you have visited there with me. It is beautiful, tranquil, lush and it clings to the side of a steep hill. The friendly locals allow the tourists to come into their village,yet the atmosphere is peaceful and calm. We were fortunate yesterday morning, there was nobody there. We walked around admiring the fruit trees- tall papaya trees, hardy tiny fig trees growing out of cracks in the rock, towering gnarled trees filled with mangoes, banana trees with fruit like giants' fingers; but for me the most  irresistable and majestic will always be the towering palms laden with dates- green, yellow and red.

We followed a lovely little path around the village and walked on a small wall by the side of a falaj, a narrow irrigation channel. I was walking along there enjoying myself looking at the sights and looking closely at the variety of trees with the loved one, when I had a sudden memory flash back. The previous time I was there, I had been nervous to walk on that wall beside the falaj and remember being unsure, a bit wobbly on my feet and constantly vigilant.

It feels to me as though in the last year, my stability has improved, the roots that tie me to this earth, and draw energy from it, have grown stronger; my feet have learnt to trust the trail more, to cherish it.  Isn't the journey about the path in any case, and not about the destination?

It was a good realisation, that on every level I am feeling more balanced. It has been a slow and gradual process, and my patience has paid off. I have been catching myself in my reactions, thinking more before I speak and living a deep state of feeling blessed. I am truly a lucky girl!

Tonight I pray dear friends, that the mysteries of the path reveal themselves kindly, and that your sturdy lamp lights your way home, always home.




2 comments:

  1. Always home my wonderful friend, always home , as that is where our true energy spirit lies, not just our heart .
    Remember that next time you are out... you are still home... all it takes is a thought!!! Magical isn't it, this wonderful way of living within the energy of our precious YOUniverse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Jamir- YOUniverse. How about YOUnMEniverse?
    Thanks for the observation, happy to see writing directly on the blog worked this time xx

    ReplyDelete