Thursday, June 21, 2012

On the solstice and stilettos

Hallo everybody! I can't believe that half this year has gone already. It is the longest day, the day of the summer solstice. Through history it has had many associations, rituals and traditions attached to it. I believe that the Scandinavians use it as an excellent excuse to party as only they can. So, it is a time to be joyful, to experience the warmth of the sun and your friends, laugh well, and bask in God's magnificence.

It is known as 'All Couples' day. So if you are in a loving liaison, it is a good time to give thanks for that love and renew the bonds of love in any way you would like- for me a lovely kiss did it! Enjoy the company of your loved one, physically or in your thoughts.

If you are single, it is an auspicious time to renew your commitment to calling your true love to you. On a higher level it is a day to focus on seeing the Creator in all things and renew your commitment to any higher power or  source of Divine Love you believe in.

I have been so wrapped up in my physical tasks, especially at work- setting exams, invigilating, marking, going to meeting and workshops- that  I have definitely been feeling a bit swamped. In these situations, I find that I allow the pressure to affect my inherent happiness. I woke up one morning with a pounding heart, my to-do list cramped into my head, running over and over like a stuck record. I had backed myself mentally into a little corner.

The usual morning fear is quite a challenge as it is, and this was really quite difficult. I just wanted to pull the blanket over my head and pretend I didn't exist. I don't know who or what it was (I certainly can't take credit for it!) but there came a soft yet clear voice through the fog,
"It is possible to be really busy and really joyful at the same time".
With the words decended peace and a huge archway opened in front of me, and I went to the shower with a smile.

That evening at work we paid tribute to our Academic Director who is leaving us to join her husband in Shanghai. She is a Swiss physicist, and is what I would describe as a workaholic in the best sense of the word. A person who is interested and committed to making a difference at every level of the organisation and who is willing to put in all the hours and energy it takes to bring her visions to fruition. She has time for each person and each issue, and has a way of cutting through the unnecessary crap with agility. No matter how many emails, no matter how many phone calls or meetings or hurdles, or even minor catastrophes, I never once heard her complain or say she was tired. As I was listening to her farewell address, I thought that this lady was certainly a role model to me. In fact, she really does live the maxim that I had been told in such unequivocal words that very morning.

Another quality of hers I admire, is her ability to wear really high-heeled stiletto shoes, and make them look really elegant and comfortable. I doubt I would ever be able to do that!

On this 21st day of June, the day of letting go of the old and taking on new energy, I am sure that my director won't mind if I share with you this quote from her memorable farewell speech:

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love... and then we return home"

Australian Aboriginal.


No comments:

Post a Comment