Monday, March 19, 2012

On wild horses, and that certain twinkle in the eye

There ain't no cure for love- Leonard Cohen

I was standing outside just now having a conversation with my neighbour. There is a sandstorm brewing in Muscat and the weather is strange and blustery and hazy. Even the call to prayer has a different quality of sound to it. We were all sent home early and are enjoying having the afternoon off. The airconditioning in my bedroom is not working, so I have a the gentle humming of the standing fan accompanying my thoughts as I write.

Back to my neighbour. He is in a long distance relationship and they are in love. They skype almost every day and share everything. He goes back to his home country as often as he can to see her. He is however, not really happy. She can't make up her mind if she want to come to see him on holiday. She didn't come in the previous holiday because she had too much work. In every conversation there are different excuses and different reasons not to come, and a whole lot of analysing and worrying about the future.

I said to him, "You have been so unhappy and frustrated recently. Sorry to be direct, but does she really love you?"
"Of course she loves me, she says so all the time. She is deeply in love with me and says I am the best man she has ever been with."
Me: "There seems to be a big disparity between the actions and the words. If I am a woman and I love you, nothing is going to keep me away, not work or illness or stress or worries about the future, or bad weather or financial issues or for that matter, wild horses. Wild horses would not keep me away!"

I had such a deep realisation that I do not need those words if the man that I am with just glimpses at me with a certain twinkle in his eye, allows me to interfere with the barbeque when I know that I should leave it alone, bakes my favourite rusks just to please me. When I am with him, I feel no morning fear.

May we all recognise and cherish the love we receive, in whatever form it chooses to find us.

No comments:

Post a Comment