Monday, May 16, 2011

Sulaiman and the ant

Today I went to class completely unprepared. On Mondays I have a 4-hour session of Intensive English with a small class of students and yesterday was a really huge grammar session. So, as I was driving to work this morning, easing my way into the day, listening to some soothing Mozart Horn Concerts, I was wondering what I could do that they would really enjoy. I remembered the writing exercise about the Zamzam water... which I promised to tell you and haven't yet.. and thought that to choose some topic familiar and close to home is always the best.

So, I asked them all to start by telling me their favourite stories from the Holy Quran. There were not too many suprises in the stories that they told, however, I have never known that the Moslem faith had a holy man akin to Saint Francis of Assisi. The prophet Sulaiman was a man who loved and could talk to the animals. One day he came across a little ant hard at work collecting for the winter.

The prophet and the ant started a conversation and the the prophet asked the ant how much food he needed to survive the cold season. The ant answered that it was about a grain and a half of rice. Sulaiman then suggested to the ant that he put him in a comfortable little box with that amount of food and he would not have to work so hard. The ant declined, answering that he would not rely on a human with the potential to be unreliable, if his experience told him that if he worked hard, he could always rely on Allah to feed him.

I thought that was rather a good story.


No comments:

Post a Comment