Saturday, March 17, 2012

A trick of light

On my way to work on Wednesday morning, after working late to get my portfolio for the promotion done, my beloved Ollie overheated and I stood by the side of a long highway, cars zooming past me. I had some water in the back, which I put into the radiator after getting it open with my beach towel and managing to avoid the huge spurt of boiling shitty water spraying up like a geyser.My colorful stripey towel is ruined, which I am sad about, but I am grateful for its protection.

 I set off again, only to stop a little way further. He was just not having it. I got out the car wondering what to do when I noticed the daintiest, almost glowing, little bush by the side of the road with teeny white butterflies flitting around it. I immediately relaxed and paused. In that moment a car pulled up, a kind Omani man with a broad smile offered to help me. I got to class 3 minutes before the start and had a good flowing lesson. 

Despite my own pressure, I had found time to help my friend Miriam with her cover letter. She said,'Stefani, I am so happy with it now, it is like a waterfall'. We had coffee and chocolate and sat in the art studio a few moments gathering myself.

I managed to hand in my portfolio on time, although I had forgotten the nice folder I wanted to use at home.
I left Ollie with his trusty Sri Lankan doctor later that day, praying that the problem was something small. When I picked my car up on Friday evening (he was finished early), I had forgotten my wallet. The loved one, who was standing next to me, took out his money and paid without blicking an eye or skipping a beat. I  had to hold back a tear of thankfulness that appeared instantaneously behind my eyes. 

As I had hoped, it was a minor problem. Later I realised that the mechanic had also replaced the bulb of the inside light of the car without me asking. The darkness inside the car had been irritating me for months. I can't express the joy I experienced at that small gesture of bringing light into my life unasked.

There are many other angels too, and I think when we allow ourselves to dance with life and stay at the centre, they reveal themselves as they are needed.

I wish that you may clearly hear life's music and move to its beat, and that angels will join in!

As I watched my fellow churchgoers kneel to receive Holy Communion on Friday, I was sure I saw a beautiful translucent figure of light welcoming the worshippers to this ancient ritual. My breath caught in my throat and I felt the emotion well in my chest. But then, it could have just been a trick of the sun's rays reflecting off the glass behind. 




No comments:

Post a Comment